Paul M. Barrett – HPC Historian
Paul M. Barrett has a 20-year association with Lyndhurst, the National Trust property in Tarrytown, NY and is a recognized authority on Tarrytown Gilded Age and Country-Place era properties.
As a researcher and historian he has contributed to the identification and substantiation of materials at institutions as Southern Methodist University, The Smithsonian, Smith College, the Westchester County Historical Society, The Tarrytown Historical Society, and the Rockefeller Archives to name a few. Paul has also contributed in genealogical research for families including that of Col. Jacob Ruppert, the initial owner of the “Pinstripes,” later know as the NY Yankees.
Paul has been invited to speak to various audiences including the Denver Architectural League, and on numerous occasions as the keynote speaker for fund- raising venues for The Tarrytown Music Hall and the Tarrytown Historic Society.
In the Fall of 2019, The Preservation League of New York invited Paul to lead an architectural walking tour of the mansion neighborhoods of Hudson, NY. This tour was part of a 3-day “Hudson, NY As You’ve Never Seen It” Preservation League member weekend.
Paul is a member of Hudson Preservation Commission as Historian. His research findings on the history of the “Old Shiloh Baptist Church” were instrumental in the Commission’s identifying the site as a local historic landmark in 2020. His report on the Farrand House in Greenport, NY assisted SHPO in determining the National Register eligibility status of that property in 2018.
In November, 2021, in conjunction with the Board of Realtors and the Preservation League of NY, Paul will be discussing the ”process” homeowners must follow when renovating a home in a Historic District.
No stranger to old houses, Paul restored a 1921 ”Colonial Revival gone Hollywood” on a hillside in Tarrytown, NY overlooking the Tappan Zee. In 2004, he purchased and restored an 1894 Queen Anne in Hudson, NY. The 21-room residence was designed by architect M.J. O’Connor for the local archdiocese and served as a rectory and eventual convent.