Facebook-Round-small   Instagram-round-small   Pinterest-round-small   Twitter-round-small   google plus   you tube
Access the world's greatest historic house marketplace

The Teunis Cornelius Slingerland House

1983 Indian Fields Road, Feura Bush, , 12067 Date Posted: September 27, 2018

$535,000

Kim Raylinksy

[email protected]

m: (518) 429-7358

Circa 1762

Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on Google+0Share on Facebook301Pin on Pinterest0

About This Old House

Convenient to the capital, the Hudson River, major highways, trains and the Albany International Airport! A must see!

The first settler to come to the Onesquethaw flats from Holland was Teunis Slingerland, who settled here around the 1600’s. He purchased 9,784 acres of some of the finest land between the Hudson River and the Helderbergs from the Native Americans. In 1685 a deed was signed which transferred the land from three Mohawk Indian chiefs to Teunis Slingerland and his son-in-law Johannes Apple.

In 1762 Teunis Slingerland (apparently the grandson of the elder Teunis), built the stone and brick portion of the house. This unusual urban style home is only one of the three known in the Hudson-Mohawk area to have built in a country setting. The house then consisted of a main entry facing the Onesquethaw Creek which brought one into the “keeping room” where the fireplace that was modified around 1800 and original built-in Dutch cupboards still remain. The tiles in the hearth of the fireplace have inscriptions and drawings on them, some initialed with TSL for Teunis Slingerland.

A summer kitchen below houses another fireplace and Dutch cupboards and is accessed from a steep stairway from the keeping room or alternately from historic Dutch doors from outside.

The original home included a door from the keeping room to the parlor, which originally had a fireplace backing up to the one in the keeping room. The thickness of the walls of the original home can be seen by examining the depth of the wall from the parlor to the foyer.

The home included two bedrooms on the second level and an attic running the full length of the house. It is believed that the attic was additionally used for more sleeping area as well as for food drying and storage for the winter months.

Many of the original panes of glass remain in the house. The beams are all in excellent shape and many are believed to be chestnut. The floors are of different types of pine including one variety apparently purchased from the south and being of much harder texture to be used in the busy area of the keeping room.

Major structural changes occurred in the early 1800’s. At that time the fireplace was removed from the parlor and the floor was lowered a full 26 inches, a feat of unbelievable magnitude. A center hall, a dining room, smaller bedrooms and a large country kitchen were added as well as several rooms upstairs.

The Slingerland family lived in the home until the early 1900’s. Since that time families with a marriage relationship to the Slingerland lineage have been the occupants – Brandt, Clarke (LaGrange) and Parks. The home was offered for public sale for the first time in its history in 2005.

The house will be sold furnished and include both lawnmowers and snowblower!

Old House Search

Select search criteria below. All fields are optional.

Or search by keyword:

Show me only properties currently for sale.


 
Facebook-Round-smallInstagram-round-smallPinterest-round-smallTwitter-round-smallgoogle plusyou tube