The Jan Pier residence is on the National Register of Historic Places and is a Rhinebeck stone farmhouse built starting in 1761 with frontage on the Landsman Kill. The home was modified several times over the past couple of centuries. It was enlarged in 1768 and then in the 1880s when its footprint increased again along with a third floor and the addition of a Second Empire mansard roof that replaced the traditional gabled roof line. The main level has a handsome front porch and formal foyer that leads to a living room, dining room and kitchen. In addition, there is a bedroom and full bath. The upper level features a primary bedroom en suite with walk-in closet or what may have been a nursery, three additional bedrooms, bath and large hallway that has built-ins and may have served as a library. The lower level has an office, family room, laundry and mechanicals/storage. The residence has handsome wide board flooring, traditional deep window wells of a stone farmhouse and vintage windows, woodwork and hardware.
The property also offers a large barn that served as a spacious art studio with loft as well as traditional agricultural uses; a smoke house; and, a fenced paddock for a previous owner’s horses. And, one of the most special structures on the property is a writing studio, that sits at a bend in the stream so serene one imagines they are in the country. Steeped in local history, this property is walking distance into the Village and minutes to Amtrak as well as convenient to all the Hudson Valley amenities — Dutchess Fairgrounds, Bard, farm markets, Tivoli and Hudson.