The Galleries is a c. 1869 architecturally significant example of a postbellum residential building in Vicksburg, MS. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1980, the Galleries maintains the Georgian-style house plan and Greek Revival-style interior details. The house is 2.5 stories tall, 4,545 living sqft with 6 bedrooms, 3.5 bathrooms, and 2 wraparound porches (an additional 3,350 sqft). The land covers 2.093 acres on 9 parcels. Included are all remaining furniture, appliances, and fixtures.
Historically significant because of its association with the Bowmar and Dabney families of Vicksburg, Mississippi, the Galleries is also architecturally important as an example of a post-Civil War residential building in that city. Thought to have been built c. 1869, the land on which the Galleries stands was part of the Lum estate which was subdivided and surveyed in 1868. The land was acquired by the Bowmar family in 1869 and a house on the property is later referred to as the “family residence.” Likely one of the first houses to be built in this area of town which was outside of the original city limits of Vicksburg, the Galleries maintains the traditional Georgian-style house plan and Greek Revival interior details of the house (constructed antebellum). Only its Italianate style paired brackets and arched windows give an indication of a slightly later date. Also significant are the cut-out balusters which have been retained from the 1880s period. More recent changes to the exterior include the concrete cladding c. 1940, and the addition of the first-floor door surround which originally served as the inner door for the upstairs entrance. (National Register of Historic Places, nomination form 1980). The dormers were added sometime between 1971 and 1973, according to the Thames family archives.
Updated on August 29, 2022 at 1:41 pm