MID-CENTURY MODERN. ARTISAN CRAFTED.
Designed for entertaining in style with privacy and views. Just minutes from town, airports and recreation.
This remarkable, custom-built home is being offered on the market for the first time in its history.
Situated on 5 acres, the estate is ready for your updates as a private residence or light commercial use — an opportunity to restore this timeless gem to its original iconic glory.
This home is artisan crafted with mid-century modern design lines, custom-built to last. Attention to detail delights visitors throughout the estate with the thoughtful use of slate, pantinaed copper trimming, exquisite tile work and hand-crafted cabinetry.
Situated on a 5 acres estate property with rugged scenic 300 degree views. The main building measures approximately 10,000 square feet, comprised of:
* 10 bedrooms and 9 baths among 3 different ‘living areas’ (family, staff, guests)
* Expansive hallways, windows and large open rooms
* Secluded location, just 5 minutes from downtown
* 6 bay garage/shop (2,000 sqft)
Built in 1952 by timber baron – John Hudspeth – as his personal residence, the home was originally sited on a 1106 acre working cattle ranch under the dramatic Barnes Butte, and just within reach of downtown Prineville and east/west access Hwy 26.
Great potential as a unique, one-of-a-kind residence or with exciting possibilities as a destination event, corporate retreat or wedding venue, bed and breakfast, or more.
No expense was spared in the artisan crafting of the home. Attention to detail and the highest quality materials were used in developing the estate. Key areas of the property include:
- A main family sleeping area with 6 bedrooms and 4 baths as follows: 1 large master suite which features a masonry fireplace, vaulted ceilings, his/hers closets with dressing area and a central bath with tub and shower, 3 bedroom suites with private baths and 2 bedrooms with a shared bath.
- A wing of 3 separate guest bedrooms apart from the main house, two which share one bath, and one is a private suite, all having private entrances.
- “Staff quarters” adjacent to the kitchen, comprised of a private living area, bedroom and bath with separate entrances.
- A spacious kitchen that includes custom built plywood cabinets with lined baking drawers and marble top, tile tops with spit doors and specialty pull outs, eight burner electric range, double ovens, built in china cabinets and glass upper doors, island/bar, prep and dish sink, and butler pantry.
- A breakfast area with rock fireplace, outside view overlooking the lawn
- An outdoor gathering area with built-in BBQ, fireplace and pizza oven.
- A formal dining room backs to the breakfast area and the kitchen.
- A formal great room features rock slab hallways and entrance, massive beam ceiling and wall to wall to ceiling slate rock fireplace.
- Adjacent to the formal great room is a similar size rec/family room with similar fireplace, full soda fountain, oak parquet flooring.
- A massive laundry and mud-entry with walk-in cooler.
- A “powder room” sits adjacent to entertainment areas with sitting area, mirrored walls and sink and toilet areas.
- All baths in the home are coordinated tile floors and bath surrounds and matching fixtures with colors of burgundy, blue, yellow, pink and blue, all original with tile floor.
- Additional 336 sf. basement intended for pool changing has two unfinished baths.
- Outdoor living areas include four covered and open patio areas.
- There is a regulation size tennis court, a horseshoe pit, 19′ x 8′ greenhouse, 8′ x 12′ chicken house and large lawns for outdoor events.
- A 72′ x 24′ six bay garage has two 2 car rollup doors and a man door and is all insulated with knotty pine interior walls and ceiling and has a wood stove for heat. It is attached by a 16′ drive through breezeway to 6060 sf. of concrete parking.
- There is also a circular concrete driveway from the entrance to the side of the house. Much of the landscaping has been restored with new lawn and irrigation system. A new heavy comp. roof was recently installed in 2018.
- A basement below was used for an oil fired steam boiler which originally heated the house; electrical panels and controls of that vintage are also located there.
Click to view/visit this property’s website for more information, history and photos.
Updated on July 29, 2021 at 3:25 am