Characterized by an incomparable setting, rare early architecture and a romantic history, the 1814 Hooper-Kyser House is one of the oldest in Chapel Hill. The Federal style farm house was constructed for William Hooper, UNC’s first professor of Ancient Languages and grandson of a North Carolina signer of the Declaration of Independence. In 1951, it was purchased by UNC 1928 graduate and band leader, radio personality, recording artist and movie/television star, James Kern “Kay” Kyser. The residence’s approximately 3,874 square feet features a spacious Provincial French kitchen and a gracious sun room/ family room on the rear elevation overlooking the almost 1 +/- acre setting.The house has Federal massing of two stories with a side-gable roof, a single chimney at each end and tall windows with some original nine-over-nine sashes. The entrance bay features a door with a four-pane transom and flush siding. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places and protected by covenants administered by the state-wide preservation organization Preservation North Carolina (PNC), the Hooper-Kyser House is suitable for renovation and may be eligible for the State Historic Rehabilitation Tax Credit Program administered by the State Historic Preservation Office of the North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources.
Updated on May 30, 2021 at 5:29 pm