Imagine the possibilities with this 13,000 square ft. stately historical property. A gateway location to the alluring NYS Finger Lakes Region! It all began in 1808 as a tavern/restaurant which transpired into the famous Holloway House. There are 5 dining areas, bar, main kitchen and pastry kitchen. 3 bedrooms and office space on the 2nd floor. It’s an easy commute to Rochester, Victor, Canandaigua and the magnificent hills of Bristol. Take that vision of yours and make it a realty!
More Than Two Centuries Old and Going Strong
By Ginny Schroeder, East Bloomfield Historian
The year was 1808, Thomas Jefferson was president, Regular stagecoach service was initiated between Batavia and Canandaigua. The New York State Legislature introduced a bill for a feasibility study for a canal. In Bloomfield Peter Holloway erected Holloway’s Tavern, known today as the Holloway House.
Peter Holloway came to Bloomfield in the early 1800s. He was a blacksmith by trade and practiced his business on Main Street in the village before building the tavern. He married Sophia Seymour in 1805. He purchased the property for the tavern from John Hickox in 1806 fir $500. (Deed Book 11, Page 73, Ontario County).
Besides serving meals and offering lodging, many of Bloomfield’s early organizations and church groups met at the tavern. It evidently was a warm place to meet, especially in the winter months, as many of the other local buildings in town were not well heated.
In 1808 Jonathan Child and his partner, Benjamin Gardner, rented a room in the tavern to use as a store while waiting their brick store on Main Street to be built. The brick store burned a few years after it was built but it was rebuilt quickly. The Farmer’s Store, later known as the Trading Post, reportedly opened for business in 1808. Jonathan Child married Sophia, daughter of Nathaniel Rochester, the first mayor of Rochester, in 1808. Holloway’s is believed to have been the first tavern within the village limits.
Holloway ran the tavern for six years. In 1814 he sold the business to Peter Bowen, another local early settler, who had been a cabinetmaker and house framer. He renamed the place the East Bloomfield Hotel, although it was commonly called Bowen’s Tavern. But he only kept it for two years. He returned to his previous occupation, and then sold it to Harvey Hobart. The next owner was Cyprian Collins, who purchased it in 1816 for $2,500.
This was a typical wayside tavern in turnpike and stagecoach days. Meals were served, with the cooking done in the basement in a large open fireplace with a Dutch oven. This fireplace, complete with the original crane from the cellar, has been reconstructed of old handmade bricks from Ontario County.
Weary travelers could rest on wide benches near the four open fireplaces, and wait for the stage coach driver to change horses. Presently the floors are covered with rugs, but underneath are the original wide oak pegged floor boards. The sitting room floor had the outline of a circular bar.
The Holloway House has enjoyed many years of serving the public. After being owned for many years by the Munson family, it was operated by Mr. and Mrs. Frank Munson as “Locust Lawn” from 1910 to about 1929. Dinners were by reservation, and chauffeurs waited while their employers partook of an elegant squab dinner. The Seel family in 1939 renamed it the “Holloway House” and set it upon it’s present course of serving fine food in an early 19th century atmosphere. However, it has been extensively remodeled over the years and is unrecognizable as an old stagecoach tavern.
Possibility of a Residential Conversion. Property is being sold “as is, where is”
Updated on May 9, 2022 at 2:07 pm