Facebook-Round-small   Instagram-round-small   Pinterest-round-small   Twitter-round-small   google plus   you tube
Access the world's greatest historic house marketplace

39846 Lime Kiln Rd Leesburg VA, c. 1830

39846 Lime Kiln Road, Leesburg, , 20158 Property Website Dated Posted: March 29, 2018

$649,999

Mark Laing

Circa 1830

Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on Google+0Share on Facebook149Pin on Pinterest4

About This Old House

Circa 1830 Renovated Historic Home; original log home with large addition, exposed ceiling beams, fireplace, hardwoods, 3 BR, 2.5 BA, LR, Kitchen w/Corian Countertops, DR, Sunroom, Office; 1.16 Acres fenced, deck/patio, outdoor kitchen, swimming pool, shed. All new systems, new roof and more. Nestled in Western Loudoun County and Virginia Wine Country. Access to Shopping, Commute to NVA & DC. MOVE IN READY.

Welcome to 39846 Lime Kiln Road, Leesburg VA 20175

Featured Items:

• Champion Generator and Cable Conveys (House has a transfer switch for all main circuits due to any power outages by the power company)
• LG Stainless Steel Refrigerator / Freezer in Outdoor Shed Conveys
• Gravel Patio Installed “Above Ground” (This was done to not hinder water to the large trees shielding the house from summer heat).
• Internet service offered via Verizon 4G LTE Internet Installed – Very Stable – https://www.verizonwireless.com/home-services/lte-internet-installed/
• Television: DirectTV HD – https://www.directv.com
• WellGard Well Warranty and Transferrable to New Owner)
• Termite / Pest Warranty with Country Termite and Pest and Transferrable to New Owner

Home Renovation Timeline and Information:

2017
• Updated Electrical Wiring in Outdoors Shed
• Insulated and Installed Friedrich Mini-Split Heat / AC in Outdoors Shed (Climate Controlled)
• Added 30 AMP RV Breaker
• New Central Vacuum
• New Hot Water Heater

2016
• New Metal Roof and 6” Half Round Gutters
• Rebuilt Brick Chimney
• All Gutters Routed Underground Out to Road Away from House
• New James Hardie Siding and Plygem Exterior Trim Work
• New Carrier Infinity High Efficiency (18 SEER) Central Air and Heat Pump
• New Pool Plaster
• Installed Automatic Pool Cleaner and Auto Chlorinator
• New Outdoor Kitchen with Hot & Cold-Water Sink, Grill Connect to Main House Propane

2015
• New Pool Tile Installed
• New Laundry Room
• New Whole House Water Filtration System Installed
• New Bosch Dishwasher

2014
• New Convection / Microwave Installed Over Stove/Oven Range
• New Grundfos Hot Water Circulating Pump with Time for Hot Water Radiator Heat

2013
• New Pool Pump and DE Pool Filter
• Replaced and Installed New Attic Insulation (Added R-12 Closed Cell with Blown-in Insulation for a total of R38)
• Renovated Kitchen
• New Flooring in Kitchen and Back Hallway from Kitchen to Dining Room

2012
• New Thermostatically Controlled Pellet Stove with 40# Hopper
• New Programmable Electric Wall Heater in Kitchen
• Renovated Home Office

2011
• New Septic Pump

——————————————————————————
History on this Beautiful Renovated Property at
39846 Lime Kiln Rd Leesburg VA

Formerly known as Star Route B! This wonderful property is your opportunity to be a steward of a piece of history! The original log cabin portion of this house dates to the 1790s and was originally part of Oatlands Plantation. Oatlands Plantation, inherited by George Carter in 1798, was originally comprised of 3,408 acres of land and was one of the largest plantations in colonial Virginia.

This 1.16-acre piece of land was purchased from Oatlands Plantation (George Carter II and Catharine Carter) in 1901, by Edward O. Russell as a home for his wife Lillian. Mr. Russell, clerk of the Loudoun Court at that time, served as Oatlands Postmaster and Storekeeper in the downstairs portion of the log cabin of this property from 1902-1913. Therefore, this is the reason to why there are two doors from the front porch into the log room. The door closest to the driveway was the general store. The other door of the log room led into the post office. The original pigeon holes for the mail were removed sometime between 1969 and 2011. Mr. John Hensley assumed Postmaster duties from 1913-1921. Following Mr. Hensley, Edward Russell’s daughter Mildred Lee Russell became the first-ever Postmistress following her June 21, 1921 appointment. Mildred served as Postmistress at the Oatlands Post Office until the it closed in 1950.

In May of 2015, as the current homeowners of this beautiful property and piece of history, we were honored by the Grant Family, stewards from 1953-1969, to show “the family homestead” to their grandchildren. They walked around the house with us and shared much of their memories and the history of this home. Mrs. Isabella Grant did a great deal of research on the house and was the first Curator of Oatlands Plantation. The kids, now in their 60’s and 70’s, shared their memories of the home.

They told of how the wine cellar and library were originally a free-standing building that was the spring house. The well/spring ran through the stone trough on the lower level. Being that spring water is always about 55 degrees, between the water and stone walls, and occasional ice deliveries in the heat of summer, you had a perfect refrigerator. Once power was brought to the house, it was not uncommon for the house to lose power for as much as 6 weeks during the winter, so the spring house was a necessity.

While the Grant family lived in the house, there was a half-acre vegetable garden located in the lower portion of the back yard. There was also an old cottage and a chicken coop on the site of the current swimming pool and upper shed.

As we moved around the house, they shared with us many of the features steeped in history: the fireplace in the living room was added in the late 1960’s, “Daddy built it for momma, ‘cause she would get cold”; the upstairs hall bathroom was installed in 1957, taking up one corner of a bedroom, explaining the layout of that portion of the house; the closet in the upstairs hallway is called a trunk room to accommodate guest that would come to visit for weeks at a time, their wooden travel trunks would have been stored there. The log cabin currently has two rooms, one upstairs and one down. As late as 1969, it had four rooms. On the first floor, there was a parlor and a music room. On the second floor were two bedrooms: Grandpa’s, and Momma’s and Daddy’s. In the 1950’s and 1960’s the kitchen had a wood cook stove. Directly above it currently sits the master bathroom. At that time, however, the master bathroom was two rooms- a bathroom and a nursery. With the wood cook stove directly below it, it was the warmest location for the baby to sleep.

In 2016, we replaced the grey vinyl siding (installed between 1997 and 2000) with James Hardie “HardieBoard” fiber cement board in the yellow color called Woodland Cream. We also replaced the metal roof with a new standing seam green metal roof. Based on family stories from the Grants and revealing the original clapboard siding (that still exists under the HardieBoard), this was the original color of the house….and the original metal roof. The original metal roof was installed by Norris Bros. of Leesburg. Norris Bros. was purchased by J.T. Hirst in approximately 1930. J.T. Hirst, then became part of the current T.W. Perry company.

There are so many more stories to tell. We would love to share with the new stewards of this magical home.

Some of this information was captured from the book Loudoun Discovered: Communities, Corners & Crossroads Volume Two- Leesburg and the Old Carolina Road by Eugene M. Scheel.

Other information is in part to research at the Loudoun County Courthouse, the Thomas Balch Library in Leesburg, VA, the Oatlands Plantation website and first-hand accounts from the Grant family (1953-1969).

Mark Laing – Realtor
Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices PenFed Realty
Licensed in VA 0225227649 | Cell/Direct 703-342-2540
Website: https://marksellsnva.com/

Old House Search

All drop-downs are optional.

Show me only properties currently for sale.






Facebook-Round-small   Instagram-round-small   Pinterest-round-small   Twitter-round-small   google plus   you tube