Circa 1793120 Plantation Drive
Woodruff, South Carolina, 29388
Style | Georgian
Property type | Single-Family Home
Date listed | March 16, 2017
Status | For Sale
- 2,887 sq ft
- 4 beds
- 4 baths
The Nicholls-Crook House is one of a kind. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, this house is surrounded by beautiful gardens and overlooks a challenging private golf club. Built in 1793, this house offers everything you could want in a “high country ” home. The award-winning garden landscaping reflects its historic setting. This spacious home has a wonderful flow and upgrades in all the right places. This property is spectacular viewed in person. Do not miss this once in a lifetime opportunity to own a beautiful piece of history.
WHAT I LOVE ABOUT THE HOME
The Nicholls-Crook House sits on high ground between the two branches of Ferguson Creek. The house was built on a large tract that included land originally granted in 1756 to Alexander Ferguson as well as land granted in 1770 to James Brewton of Charleston. Such grants were designed to increase settlement in this back-country, frontier region. Settlement had only begun to increase modestly in the 1760s with the arrival of Scots-Irish settlers, mostly coming from the north. Prior to European settlement, the area had been Cherokee hunting grounds. The house itself was built by Thomas Williamson. Thomas Williamson was born in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, in 1736, of Scots-Irish heritage. Before the Revolutionary War Thomas had moved to Granville County, North Carolina, where he and his wife, Anne, aided the war effort by bringing food and supplies to their son William?s regiment. After the war the family moved to what is now Spartanburg County, South Carolina. In 1785 Thomas bought two tracts of land, one over 400 acres on Fairforest Creek and the other over 900 acres on Ferguson Creek. He initially lived on the smaller tract, which shortly afterward came to include the court house site for the newly-created Spartanburg County. The Williamsons lived there for several years, getting a tavern license to serve the growing number of visitors to the court house, but also beginning work on a substantial brick home, now known as the Nicholls-Crook House, on the larger tract of land, to which they moved in 1793. This new home was reminiscent of some Virginia homes the Williamsons had likely been familiar with earlier in their lives, but was quite unlike other homes in the region. The architecture is a combination of Georgian and Federal styles. The house is today the oldest brick house in Spartanburg County, with the only other brick house from this early period being owned by the Spartanburg County Historical Association.