Facebook-Round-small   Instagram-round-small   Pinterest-round-small   Twitter-round-small   google plus   you tube
Access the world's greatest historic house marketplace

Save this House!

822 Main Street, Saint Joseph, , 64501 Dated Posted: July 9, 2017

$5,000 or best offer!

Circa 1860s

Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on Google+0Share on Facebook324Pin on Pinterest5

About This Old House

822 Main is located on historic main street, on a corner lot with a fantastic backyard. Its approximately .23 acres. It is a solid brick building with some simple, but nice, detailing above the windows. It will need a significant amount of work, but is so worth the effort. The property is less than a block from St. Joseph avenue and Interstate -229, and about three blocks from our historic downtown. The location is visible and easily accessible, perfect for a business and will be the neighbor to the Cracker House aka Frank Sommer house, a three story italiantate undergoing restoration to become a community space for this forgotten, yet historic, area of town.

The front door opens to a foyer with the staircase to the upstairs in front of you and a room to the left and right, both of which opened to the back of the home. The same layout is repeated upstairs. The back of the home is completely open at this point and could be customized easily. There are two back doors, a side door on the south east side, and a side door on the north east side, making four five exterior doors on the first floor. The north east room also contains a bay window. It is a fun, unique property.

St. Joseph is a very affordable town to live in, and the preservation community is very closely knit. Anyone moving to town to restore an old home would be welcomed into a group of like minded individuals with open arms! The city offers a Save Our Heritage grant, as well as federal and state historic tax credits. There are plenty of craftsmen in town to do the tuck pointing and truss work that it needs. It would be a perfect blank slate with a beautifully simple, historic facade!

The History:

Built originally as a four square in the 1860’s, an addition was added on in March of 1889, the first month that St. Joe required building permits! The first occupant was a reverend John Kost, a preacher and renowned organ player. His son, Phillip, also lived with him for a time and was also known to be very musically talented. His grandson ended up marrying the niece of Frank and Carrie Sommer (Frank Sommer was the inventor of the saltine cracker and founder of NABISCO!)
John’s great grandson, Al Kost, was an americana painter of some renown, known for his barn paintings.

After the Kost family moved out, the home had a series of brief tennants, eventually ended up as rental, and vacant. The “flipper” bought it in the 2000’s, tore off some shingles on the back addition, and then left. The roof, unprotected, has rotted and the second floor in the addition has collapsed into the basement.

Old House Search

All drop-downs are optional.

Show me only properties currently for sale.






Facebook-Round-small   Instagram-round-small   Pinterest-round-small   Twitter-round-small   google plus   you tube