- 5 baths
- 5 beds
- 4,340 sq ft
- .5 to 1 acre
About This Old House
The main house, a Queen Anne Victorian (3300 square feet) built in 1904 proudly displays the Texas Historical Marker and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The “environmentally safe” property is well suited for “living naturally”. The great canopy of fruit and nut trees, hardwoods and conifers create a peaceful ambiance and park like setting.
Construction of the Queen Anne Victorian occurred before toxic materials came into being. The cedar used to build this house was transported by covered wagon from Louisiana.
Meticulously restored with health in mind, great care was taken during restoration in 1982 to use natural, nontoxic and poison-free materials.
An insulated two car garage with basement and attached Persimmon Cottage (1040 square feet) were built in 2000.
On July 20, 1904, a news item appeared in the Clarendon Chronicle stating “the new residence of F.D. Martin (now known as the S.W. Lowe House) was well under way and would make quite a showing when completed”. The Martins, natives of Tennessee, owned a very fine mercantile store which advertised tailor-made suits, real Valencia lace handkerchiefs, linen and Battenberg material. The Martins were most sympathetic to the arts. Clarendon was proud to have an opera house during this era, and “it is said that many times the female singers would dress at the Martin house for the performance.”
For more information and history of this property click on Property Website link above.